[SLUG] Slow Samba

From: Russ Wright (rwrigh10@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 22:14:09 EDT

Yep I ran my mouth about how my company could recycle some of the old file
servers and use them with linux. So they let me set one up.

The machine is:
HP Netserver LC3.
one Pentium 2 450 mhz processor,
128 mb of ram
3 9gb scsi drives with hardware level 5 raid

I have Redhat 9.0 installed fully updated. I have samba installed and it is
allowing connections from our Windows XP workstations. However it is dog
ssssllooowwww (slow). i'm getting a little over a 1 mb per minute transfer
rate.

What i've done so far:

Ive adjusted the socket settings in smb.conf but I am still not getting any
better throughput.
socket options = SO_SNDBUF = 8192 SO_RCVBUF = 8192 \
IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE

I confirmed that the eth0 card is running at 100 mbps using ethtool but still
no improvement.

Any suggestions before I have to stick my foot any deeper in my mouth?

Regards
Russ