Re: [SLUG] IMAP server that allows "subfolders"?

From: Austin Theen (austin@austintheen.com)
Date: Fri Oct 10 2003 - 16:53:13 EDT

On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 16:25, Douglas Koobs wrote:
> We're testing the UW IMAP server, and it seems that it doesn't support
> folders that contain both sub-folders and messages. At least, not without
> a performance hit. Other than Courier-IMAP, what other IMAP servers can I
> use that support this? Thanks,
>
> Doug

I've used Cyrus IMAP [1] with great success. It supports subfolders
within a folder that contains messages. It does have one drawback
depending on how you look at it, it uses a db4 based backend to store
the messages. Which can be really nice and fast in production, or
tedious and mind numbing to troubleshoot and restore from backups.

So you mileage may vary, but it does work very well for virtual hosting
and mailbox quotas.

Austin

[1] http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/

--