Re: [SLUG] hosts.allow vs. syslogd vs. router

From: Andrew M. Hoerter (amh@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Oct 13 2003 - 12:24:52 EDT

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Eben King wrote:

> I just got off the phone with USR tech support. FTR, 7 callers in the
> queue -> 35 minutes on hold (thank goodness for headsets). OTOH, they
> have hold music (which is by Canadian artists, assuming Sade, Marc
> Anthony, Tina Turner and k.d. lang are Canadian). OTThirdH, there are no
> updates as to the current queue depth.

When I'm on hold, I want two (2) things:

1) Complete and utter silence, with the exception of 2)
2) A single beep every minute to let me know I'm still connected

Any given type of hold music is guaranteed to annoy *someone*. I don't
know why companies haven't caught on to this yet.

> Anyhow, they say that syslog doesn't work yet, but will work after I
> upgrade the firmware to an as-yet-unreleased version, for which they have
> no ETA. I'll see...

I'm sure they'll put their best engineering minds on it; after all, syslog
is Rocket Science(TM).