Re: [SLUG] hosts.allow vs. syslogd vs. router

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Oct 13 2003 - 13:02:48 EDT

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Andrew M. Hoerter wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Eben King wrote:
>
> > I just got off the phone with USR tech support. FTR, 7 callers in the
> > queue -> 35 minutes on hold (thank goodness for headsets). OTOH, they
> > have hold music (which is by Canadian artists, assuming Sade, Marc
> > Anthony, Tina Turner and k.d. lang are Canadian). OTThirdH, there are no
> > updates as to the current queue depth.
>
> When I'm on hold, I want two (2) things:
>
> 1) Complete and utter silence, with the exception of 2)
> 2) A single beep every minute to let me know I'm still connected

Yes, that way you can use a speakerphone without annoying those within
earshot.

> Any given type of hold music is guaranteed to annoy *someone*. I don't
> know why companies haven't caught on to this yet.

Sure, but there are many things that are _worse_; like a ring that makes
you think somebody's about to pick it up, or incessant ads for the company
you're calling. Local radio is iffy; sometimes it's good, sometimes it's
bad.

> > Anyhow, they say that syslog doesn't work yet, but will work after I
> > upgrade the firmware to an as-yet-unreleased version, for which they have
> > no ETA. I'll see...
>
> I'm sure they'll put their best engineering minds on it; after all, syslog
> is Rocket Science(TM).

Yes, it's only been documented for, what, 20+ years? Furrfu...

He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and he who dares not is a slave. -Sir William Drummond