[SLUG] rsync backups

From: Austin Theen (austin@austintheen.com)
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 14:31:11 EDT

I had a great time at the Sarasota Meeting last night and wanted to post
some information that I mentioned about rsync backups over ssh.

What this does is allow you to mirror a directory structure from one
computer to another over an encrypted ssh session without the necessity
of running rsyncd on the target computer. it works best with public keys
exchanged so ssh doesn't ask you for a password.

rsync --rsh /usr/bin/ssh --update --archive --verbose \
--recursive --compress --sparse --delete --bwlimit=2048 \
/path/to/source backup.computer.net:/path/to/backup/dir

So if anyone has any suggestions on how to make this better, I'm all for
it. If it helps anyone, I'd love to hear that too. It'd make my day a
whole lot better.

Austin Theen