Re: [SLUG] breathing new life into old hardware

From: Michael Manchester (mchester@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 11 2003 - 06:41:27 EST

--- ethan zimmerman <lists@ethanzimmerman.com> wrote:
> Okay I wish to breathe new life into old hardware by
> turning an old pc
> into an
> email-checking-web-browsing-solitaire-playing
> machine.
>
> First the bad news (the hardware)...
> - 486DX 50Mhz
> - the bios can't see partitions bigger than 512MB
> - and it's running windows 95 (hehe)
>
> What I want...
> - a GUI with Mozilla (hopefully epiphany), Games,
> Gaim and XMMS
> - I would like to use GNOME, but then again I would
> also like to be

WindowMaker will run both KDE and GNOME apps. And it's
very fast no make than very very very very....... fast
compared to GNOME.

You may need to use the older Xfree 3.x as it has
better support for older graphic cards.

I would try firebird in place of Mozilla (Mozilla
without the blot). Thunderbird for the email (Mozilla
like email) all of the above can be found on Mozilla's
home page.

=====