RE: [SLUG] What to do with redhat going away?

From: Steven Buehler (steven@sanctuaryweb.org)
Date: Fri Nov 21 2003 - 20:08:38 EST

It seems to be a trend: Netscape ditched their browser and sent all their
development folks to the Mozilla Project; Red Hat ditched its Linux distro
as we currently know it and are sending their IP to the Fedora Project which
will feed their innovations to Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Microschmuck just
decided we aren't updating our browser anymore unless you either (a) buy our
next version of Windows or (b) there's a national security issue requiring
an update, in which case we'll think about it.

I don't think Microsoft will completely go away (just like Lotus has yet to
completely go away since their acquisition by IBM ... they're still
developing new products and I'm not referring just to Notes/Domino [which
BTW I have Organizer 5.0 running on my Linux box with Crossover now
---Sveeeeet! Unfortunately it won't print ...]) What I think you *will* see
is a leveling of the operating system playing field. A company that owns
the operating system that runs on approximately 95 percent of the world's
personal computers and the office suite that runs on the vast majority of
them isn't going to just fade away without a major upheaval in the
information technology world.

Steven W. Buehler | steven@sanctuaryweb.org
Web Site: http://www.sanctuaryweb.org | http://renaitre.iuma.com
AOL I/M: StevenBuehlerFL | MSN: StevenWBuehler@msn.com | Yahoo! swbuehler