Re: New question RE: [SLUG] wind emulator

From: cpace@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Mon Nov 24 2003 - 09:58:20 EST

Depends on the Windows application. CrossOver office is a wonderful piece of work that will allow you to run a very large selection of MS applications natively on a Linux system. Use that in conjunction with a remote control piece and you have your solution.

As far as the remote control piece, I posted earlier about a product I was evaluating for us to use in house here and the test went extremely well. Its a product server/client called NX Server (www.nomachine.com) and they give you a free evaluation period to try out and see if it works for you. It is very simple to implement and has worked for me well so far. It builds on open source technology with one piece of proprietary technology which is what you are paying for. The client establishes a SSH session to the server and then all X traffic is tunneled. The difference lies in the fact that they compress and decompress the X protocol (think TightVNC) and allows for a full desktop across a rather slow connection (they state 9600 baud but realistically more like a 33.6 or greater).

Hope this helps some.

PeACE

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the
president, or that we are to stand by the president,
right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
but is morally treasonable to the American public."
(1918) Theodore Roosevelt
26th President of the United States of America