Re: [SLUG] Hands-on RHCE Labs in St. Petersburg

From: Daryl Caudill (drokmed@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 25 2003 - 19:16:44 EST

Hi all,

Eight people so far are interested in getting together
for some hands-on training sessions. This is great.
Most people would like to do a half-day session, every
other weekend. No decision until all the responses
are in.

I checked with the library today, and they should be
able to accommodate us. Next week, after all of the
the schedule with the library.

I'd like to clarify a little better my intent with
this. First of all, I am going for my RHCE. I've
been using linux since it's conception by Linus
Torvolds, on and off over the years. I am a network
engineer by trade for fifteen years, with the last
four years with networking manufacturers
(Cabletron/Enterasys and FORE/Marconi). I am NOT a
unix GOD, although I've used it extensively at times
over the years. However, I am very solid with
networking and with training. I have developed and
taught technical courses to engineers for many years.
My goal is to focus on hands-on training. Anyone can
read a book/HOW-TO guide, and I don't want to bore you
with 500 powerpoint slides. Let's stick to the
hands-on. I picked the RHCE book from McGraw Hill
because it received the best reviews. I'm half-way
through the book right now, and I like it. I believe
the labs are ideal for the intent of our training
sessions. As to how many sessions, who knows. We'll
get a good feel after 2-3 sessions. I'm thinking a
dozen sessions at this point, but it could change
radically. If we're lucky, this will evolve into a
continous forum.

If this flops for some reason and everyone bails,
well, I'm still going for my RHCE! I'm gonna do this
regardless...I might as well work with others who have
similar interests! That's why I'm doing this.

The current RHCE cert test is based on RH8.0. Red Hat
has not announced if/when it will be based on RH9 or
RH Enterprise. I intend to have this answered before
our first class.

More to come. Anyone else interested, please let me
know (see original email of this thread).

Daryl Caudill
drokmed@yahoo.com