[SLUG] Hands-on RHCE Labs in St. Petersburg

From: Daryl Caudill (drokmed@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Nov 24 2003 - 22:44:45 EST

Hi all,

The SLUG members in the St. Petersburg area are
planning on starting hands-on linux workshops for
people interested in getting their Red Hat Certified
Engineer (RHCE) certification, or anyone wanting to
learn more about linux. This is in the initial
planning stages. For locations other than St. Pete,
we will be happy to colaborate with you. You can join
us if you like.

We are thinking either one or two weekend days per
month, like a Saturday or Sunday, probably a half-day.
 All of these variables are up to those of you who are
interested. Anyone that is interested in attending
all (or even some) of the sessions, please fill out
the below survey form, and email your response to me:
drokmed@yahoo.com

We are currently thinking about using the labs
straight out of the RHCE Red Hat Certified Engineer
Linux Study Guide (Exam RH302), Third Edition,
published by McGraw Hill/Osborne. This is by no means
an official event! This is an unofficial collective
effort of members assisting each other. No guarantees
here (hey, what do you want for free?)

Here is the summary agenda:

1. Installation
2. Basic Configuration and Administration
3. Advanced Installation
4. X Window System
5. Network Client Services
6. Network Management
7. Systems Administration and Security
8. Operational Administration Recovery and Security

The book recommends you already have basic knowledge
and experience with linux. Please check the
pre-requisites for this course:

http://www.redhat.com/training/rhce/courses/rh300_prereq.html

We may consider starting with the pre-requisites, then
proceed with the RHCE labs, depending on the survey
results.

Ideally, each person should bring at least one PC that
has a hard disk that WILL be reformatted, and has a
NIC. Preferably has a CD-ROM drive that can be booted
from. Don't forget the monitor, keyboard, mouse,
speakers, ethernet cable, power strip, etc. Extra
stuff is helpful, such as extra cables, power strips,
extension cords, ethernet hubs, etc.

I can bring an AMD P6-2.1Ghz PC, a dual P3-550Mhz
(SMP) PC, a 4-port Ethernet hub/router (Belkin), a few
power strips, extension cords, blank CDRs, RH9.0
install CDs, Windows w2kpro, w2kserv CDs (for
dual-boot stuff), etc.

Maybe we can get SLUG to provide some coffee and
dounuts :)~

We will try to get the St. Pete library for our
location. If we are unable to use the library,
everyone think about an alternate location we might be
able to use (sorry, no bedrooms!).

OK, here is the survey. Please copy the below
questions to a new email, and fill-in your answers.

1. Frequency. How often would you be able/willing to
attend?
a. once a month
b. every other weekend
c. every weekend
d. every day
e. other:

2. Duration. How long would you like to see each
session last:
a. all weekend, sleep over!
b. one full day (eight hours+)
c. six hours
d. four hours
e. other:

3. Hours. What hours/day works best? (multiple
answer)
a. Saturday
b. Sunday
c. mornings, starting at:
d. afternoons, starting at:
e. evenings, starting at:

4. Starting tech level. At what level would you like
the sessions to start?
a. cover the pre-requisites in detail, including labs
b. review the pre-requisites, discussion-level
c. format those hard disks and lets start the
installation labs
d. other:

5. What can you bring?
a. nothing but a desire to learn (don't have a PC to
spare)
b. I can bring a PC but can't reformat my hard disk
(somebody bring me a spare HD please!)
c. I have a PC that is lab-ready
d. Extra stuff/other:

6. What is your objective?
a. I want to enhance my linux knowledge and experience
b. I may go for the RHCT or lpi certifications
c. I really want my RHCE certification
d. I'm just showing up for the free dounuts!
e. other:

7. Suggestions and comments. Don't be shy. Flames
auto-forwarded to the resturaunt at the end of the
universe.

Anyone interested, please email me by this weekend
with the survey, by Sunday, November 30th. I will
compile all responses and post the results.

Regards,

Daryl Caudill
drokmed@yahoo.com