RE: [SLUG] I am confuzzeled...

From: Steven Buehler (steven@sanctuaryweb.org)
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 21:22:48 EST

A prospective applicant that's certified in a linux distro that the hiring
manager has heard of and most likely actually uses in their own IT
department (such as Red Hat) will have a much better chance at someone who
is trained on a lesser-known/popular distro, even if everything else about
the distro is exactly the same. That's reality. Most hiring managers,
especially in larger companies, don't have the time to dissect resumes in
detail, and most major companies have them scanned and OCRd into a central
database so a hiring manager would likely type in "Red Hat Certified" or
something like that to look up an electronic resume record. If that phrase
ain't in your resume, it don't matter how qualified you are--you get passed
over.

Steven W. Buehler | steven@sanctuaryweb.org
Web Site: http://www.sanctuaryweb.org | http://renaitre.iuma.com
AOL I/M: StevenBuehlerFL | MSN: StevenWBuehler@msn.com | Yahoo! swbuehler