Re: [SLUG] I am confuzzeled...

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 21:25:59 EST

>As a hiring manager, I disregard virtually all certifications and look
>at the person applying. If they tell me they love computers and had a
>VIC 20/Trash 80/286 growing up and learned everything by being
>themselves, I am much more likely to hire them than someone who gets a
>certification and may, or may not, love what they are doing, than hire
>someone who only got their LPI/MSwhatever/RHwhatever certification.

Logan, this method of hiring assumes *you* know enough about the job to
be able to choose applicants based on capability. And you do. But Gary
Grind, recruiter for Dominant, Inc., doesn't know a VIC 20 from a
DIMM, and if you ask him to find someone with Red Hat knowledge he'll
look for someone who knows how to dye and shape felt.

So Gary looks for the degree and the certification. They obviously mean
someone is qualified to do the job. We know that because Gary has a
Bachelor's in Obfuscation Discombobulation from the University of South
Antartica, and has a plaque on his office wall next to his college
diploma that proclaims him to be a Certified Resume OCR Screening
Software Operator.

People who know nothing about cars tend to go to garages (or dealer
service departments) that have nice waiting rooms with plenty of
credentials and certifications for the mechanics on the walls. I know a
lot about car repair, having done it for a living in my younger days, so
I take my Jeep to a guy named Chris at the nearby Chevron who's
competent and doesn't charge me much. I have no idea what kind of
certification or training he has, and I don't care. I've watched him
work, and I can tell a mechanic who knows his stuff from one who doesn't.

- Robin