Re: [SLUG] Cannot boot puter

From: Backward Thinker (backwardthinker@juno.com)
Date: Sat Nov 29 2003 - 10:32:07 EST

> My /boot partition is hda3 which is where the kernel.h-2.4 etc is
> located as well as the system map, vmlinuz, and initrd are. my /
> partition is hda1. When I quiered the file system for the kernel it
> came back with none,

How did you query the filesystem for the kernel?

> but if I go into the /boot directory they are
> both there 2.4.22-10 and 2.4.22-21. I used the same disks to
> install both my laptop and my desktop and my laptop is fine.

I'm late in this thread, is this a new install? What filesystem type
is on your boot partition... ext2/3? Is it clean (fsck -f /dev/hda3)? Has your laptop ever booted with the grub bootloader? What's changed,
did you install a new kernel since then?

> Yes actually all three initrd are in /boot. I have initrd.img,
> initrd-2.4.22-10mdk.img and initrd-2.4.22-21mdk.img all in boot.
> It's strange though because they look like packages that need to be
> installed but without the rpm on the end.

If you're looking at an icon in a gui or something, the initrd might
appear like that because it is a gzipped filesystem, which might
explain why it could appear to have an rpm-like icon.

> The initrd.img is a link file the other two are not.

Is it a relative link to to the -21 initrd? If not, make it so. In
/boot, "rm initrd.img" then "ln -s initrd-2.4.22-21mdk.img initrd.img"

> Also while looking at the / dir there is one file in with
> all the directories, initrd-2.4.22-21mdk.img, and it looks like a
> package instead of a file also.

Is this initrd file the same as the one in boot?

> I have a initrd dir under / but its empty.

Normal, it's a mount point.

> timeout 10
> color black/cyan yellow/cyan
> i18n (hd0,2)/grub/messages
> altconfigfile (hd0,2)/grub/menu.once
> default 0
>
> title linux
> kernel (hd0,2)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 noapic devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi
> resume=/dev/hda5 acpi=ht
> initrd (hd0,0)/initrd.img

Make this (hd0,2)/initrd.img and make sure that /boot/initrd.img is a relative link to the correct initrd image in boot.

> title floppy
> root (fd0)
> chainloader +1
>
> title failsafe
> kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 noapic failsafe devfs=nomount
> hdc=ide-scsi resume=/dev/hda5 acpi=ht
> initrd (hd0,0)/initrd.img

Did the installer generate this "failsafe" entry? It's going to be
looking for a kernel and initrd.img on hda1, your root partition.
Presumably these files don't exist, so this section won't do you too
much good at this time.

Don't forget grub-install.

Good luck!
~ Daniel