[SLUG] Toshiba Satellite 4090, KDE 3.1, screen size

From: Doug Koobs (dkoobs@dkoobs.com)
Date: Sat Dec 06 2003 - 10:06:12 EST

I'm trying out Slackware 9.1 on a Toshiba SAtellite 4090. The install
went well, but I can't get the gui to fil the screen. I boot to a text
console, and the whole screen is used. But when I startx, there is a one
inch band around the whole display that is not used. I've tried
different combinations of Resolution, Virtual Desktop, and color depth,
but nothing works so far. Either X will not launch at all (I only have
4MB of video memory), or I have the display has the blank band around
it, or once I got the display to be completely used, but parts of the
desktop were off the display.
There is also a "Stretch Display" in the BIOS that I can enable or
disable, doesn't seem to make a difference once Xwindows starts, though.
Can anyone explain what the Virtual Desktop in KDE is, and how to get it
to use all of the display? I had this problem with another distro, and
got it resolved, but I can't remember or find how I fixed it before...
Any pointers? Thanks!

Doug