Re: [SLUG] Toshiba Satellite 4090, KDE 3.1, screen size

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Dec 06 2003 - 15:40:41 EST

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, Doug Koobs wrote:

> However, response is sluggish (it was slow before these changes also)..
> It takes a few seconds to open windows, and as I'm typing this email, I
> often have to wait to wait for the text to catch up to what I have typed
> (and I an not a fast typist..) Any tips on improving performance?
> Sshould I be tweaking the XF86conf file, or is it something else? Thanks,

If you switch to a text console (ctrl-alt-Fn) when X is up, is it OK then?
Something with the video, then. If that's the same, then how about when X
is not running (runlevel 3)? Something with the memory, then. Could be a
shared-memory system, where video memory comes out of system memory. Are
you running KDE or Gnome? They use a lot of RAM. How deep is your X
display (16 bit, 24 bit, etc)? Can you lower it? How much RAM do you
have? What does "free" say? Can you see an program using up lots of CPU
time in "top"'s display?

He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and he who dares not is a slave. -Sir William Drummond