Re: [SLUG] show details

From: bpreece1 (bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Dec 06 2003 - 21:50:13 EST

Sorry have had some serious car problems the other night.
How ever this is a brief run down on the things concerning the show.

1. The Guest for the show.

Our Guest for the show is as follows.

Two of the Best Speakers you can get.

Robin "Roblimo" Miller Cheif editor of OSDN! As always Robin has come
through for us. From the First
CTS show to this Biz2expo show. I can't say thanks enough to him for all his
support and great articles and fantastic presentations.

Jon "Maddog" Hall of Linux International. Maddog is also another good
speaker and this will his 2nd time supporting us.

New Speaker also supporting us.

Dr. Frederick H. Berenstein, Chairman of Xandros, Inc
Xandros is using our show to be the first public event showing off the new
2.0 desktop. This should be a great distro from what I hear.
Also Xandros is going to be bringing in some copies of their distro to hand
out at the show.

Steve Harris of Xandros promotions! I have spent hours on the phone with him
very pleasent and sounds thrilled about this show.

2. As you have heard many companys have stiffed us this time. MANY!!!!
I don't like to point but this is very sad as to how many first said yes
then to turn around to say forget it.
Redhat, Mandrake, Lycoris, Elx, Linux Magazine, Cheapbytes, Gentoo,
Libranet, and over half of the ones listed on both Distrowatch.com and
LinuxIso.org
How ever we are not going to let them ruin this show!

How ever we will need people to help burn copies of Knoppix, Oralux, Live
Slackware and perhaps some really good gui based live cd distros.
I have the ISO of Knoppix with the SLUG logo. I will be taking copies with
me tomorrow at Barnes and Nobles in Brandon for the ones who can help burn
them.
I will be there around 12:00 noon This SUNDAY!

As mentioned we will be handing out copies also of Xandros 1.0 and up.

3. What we will be showing off. First on my Laptops. Xandros 2.0 and
Knoppix! On Diana's Laptops Lindows and Live Slackware and Redhat though I
am dissapointed with them! We will also have Crossover and Win4Lin running
on them. For A Desktop Pc Linare Linux and one of their PC's.

I would like to still have a S.u.S.E, Mandrake, and any other distro not
mentioned on my systems how ever if someone has Redhat bring it. I was also
going to have my Sun Ultra 30 how ever don't have any experience loading
Linux on a Sparc, My Umax dual power Pc again not any luck with that and my
Alpha. Besides they are to big and bulky and would comsume too much power.

Also if anyone has Yellowdog on a Mac Laptop please bring that.

4. We need help with the booth. Diane will be in charge and she needs people
to help answer questions, we need help doing demos at the booth, and also to
help passout swag. We will also need people to remind others about the
speakers.

5. We need to have drinks what me and Diane can bring will be limited.
Water, Soda, perhaps Arizona drinks. If you can bring some drinks let us
know.

6. We need everyone who is going to register at www.biz2expo.com anyone with
SLUG register with the title of SLUG Volunteer. Do this early to get your
badge when you walk in there other wise you will have a long wait time to go
to a pc fill out information and then wait print your badge.

7. Stuff to hand out Linux Journals, many cup holders, the distros, and some
random prizes after the presentations.

Also anyone wanting to help please let me Bill Preece
savatage@mindspring.com Diane Lenko dazie@mindspring.com know.

We will have Internet, and power. Also I am bringing my 16 port hub/switch
with some patch cables.

Tom Ufer of Nextwave Computers will have 3 Pc's there with Internet access
for E-mail set up as well. Also Tom will have some cool stuff to show off. I
will be bouncing back and foward for this :) These also will be running
Linux :)

Ok Folks this is the short of things. I will have more to follow up with.
Also Wednesday I will be at the Tampa Meeting with Tickets for the show. As
well as a few follow ups. Anyone who can make it there at Barnes and Nobles
please Sunday December 6th tomorrow around noon let me know A.S.A.P. so I
can bring enough stuff for people to burn. Please us the above e-mail
savatage@mindspring.com to E-Mail me.

Well this is it for now. OBTW David Meyer if you can help or get the Penguin
suit let me know thanks.

Thanks
Bill Preece and Diana Lenko.