Re: [SLUG] SMB File and Print Sharing

From: Backward Thinker (backwardthinker@juno.com)
Date: Mon Dec 22 2003 - 07:37:22 EST

> okay I really need to get around to setting up a file
> and print server. I can do both of these things with
> samba right?

Yes, Samba is what you need, though there is an additional
layer required for print. When it comes to printing,
Samba just accepts the job from a windows client and
passes it to whatever print subsystem you have installed
(CUPS, LPRng, whatever). Samba can also serve the Windows
drivers to its clients, but without a print subsystem
installed and configured on the system, you won't get any
print out of Samba. If you do run CUPS, you'll want to
uncomment the application/octet-stream line at the bottom
of /etc/cups/mime.convs and /etc/cups/mime.types to enable
raw printing from Samba/Windows if you'll be using non-
PostScript drivers.

> Also is there a specific distro I should consider? (one
> that has some nice SMB config tools) Then once it's set
> up how do I maintian it? (security updates etc.)

Use whatever distro makes you the happiest. I guess I'd
probably go for the big names first, as they tend to be the
most popular for a reason. As far as maintaining the
software once you are up and running, it depends on the
distro (apt, yast2, up2date, ...).

HTH,
~ Daniel

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!