Re: [SLUG] Samba - Virus Protection

From: Backward Thinker (backwardthinker@juno.com)
Date: Mon Dec 22 2003 - 08:03:35 EST

> Well, we have our first Linux Samba server at my office.
> An HP Netserver LC3 running Redhat 9.0 Hurray!

> However, the boss would like me to find some way to make
> sure the files stored in the samba share on the box are
> not contaminated with a virus.

> The only way I can think of to do that would be to have
> a windows box with a virus scanner scan the share drives.

That will work.

> Any other suggestions? Is there a virus scanning tool I
> can install on the Linux box? If so should I actually
> install it?

Yes. And Samba has hooks in its VFS layer which allows programs to react to certain events... like scan a file for a virus when an open is requested, and not allow access if the file is contaminated. Google "samba vscan" ... there's something already written that supports a number of different anti-virus backends. Pretty sure RedHat 9 and the latest SuSE already have RPMs ready to go.

~ Daniel

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!