Re: [SLUG] A possible Project for Slug

From: Steve (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Thu Dec 25 2003 - 12:29:13 EST

I've been testing MEPIS for a while now on a seperate partition. What hit me
first out was that it supported the chipset (VIA 8237) in my KT600
motherboard. It's a pretty new chipset and is not yet supported by RH.
(Without it there's no DMA.)

The main reason for me using RH is their security updates. I never used Debian
because of their slow schedule. I like Mepis but I don't have a clear picture
how well they fair with security or other updates.

Mandrake has actually steadily been working out of their financial difficulty
and I would not turn them down with that as a reason. They also aquired a
very knowledgable guy heading up their security. (Clearly an issue with me,
eh!? : ) Which is showing up in their newer releases.

Lindows has never been a remote option for me due to their screwy use of the
GPL, Michael's odd attitude and otherwise not very powerful distro.

So Warren (of Mepis) definitely knows howto cut through the complexities of
installing Linux, as he has demonstrated with a simplistic install approach -
everything. He built a machine by putting together what he thought would be a
nice combo of things and then compressed it onto the CD. The installer is
simply an uncompress of this image. Makes it install really fast too.

I got no problem with that for a workstation, but for a server it means
stripping away everything to maintain security. So the ability to quickly
build a server with it is not really there.

Could be an interesting approach to have an uninstaller that will quickly
strip all those apps with an option to customize it for stuff you want. If
this automated uninstaller created a bare bones machine one can easily add
things like apache, python, sql etc.

Now this may not at all be in Warrens plans, building servers. Maybe he just
really likes building workstations. But it sure would be an interesting angle
to look at. I've never played with RH's installation script but I hear it's
really easy to use. Could be that building various scripts that leaves you
with whatever apps might be a good way to "build on" Mepis.

--
Steve

__________________________________________________ You actually need to constantly be alert and willing to handle things, or life will find a way to get you good! ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.