Re: [SLUG] failed dependecies for rpm (RH 9.0)

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Sat Dec 27 2003 - 02:33:49 EST

>> That looks strange. The errors indicate that the system is trying to
>> install rpm, not qmail. What does the following produce:
>>
>> rpm -qip qmail-blah-blah.rpm
>

> [root@genesis root]# rpm -qip qmail-4.0.4-7x.i386.rpm
> -qip: unknown option
> [root@genesis root]# rpm --qip qmail-4.0.4-7x.i386.rpm
> --qip: unknown option

This should have worked. The -qip option will query a package and show
detailed information about the contents. E.g.:

[kwan@sigma i386]$ rpm -qip snort-2.0.4-1.i386.rpm
Name : snort Relocations: /usr
Version : 2.0.4 Vendor: Snort.org
Release : 1 Build Date: Fri 05 Dec 2003 05:56:25 PM EST
[snip]

 The fact that you can't do this indicates that your RPM binary itself is
probably corrupted. On my RedHat 9 system the RPM information is as follows:

[kwan@sigma i386]$ rpm -q rpm
rpm-4.2-0.69

[kwan@sigma i386]$ md5sum /bin/rpm
05138d42add30fed62a1f438e0274630 /bin/rpm

Is this machine on the Internet?

You can probably recover if it is just a bit of filesystem corruption. If the
machine has been compromised then you may need to reinstall.

>> Was the RPM built specifically for RedHat 9 or are you using a package from
>> another distribution? If the latter, try rebuilding the RPM;
>>
>> rpmbuild --rebuild qmail-blah-blah.src.rpm
>
> Built for RH9 ... but what the heck, I'll give it a shot:
>
> [root@genesis root]# rpmbuild --rebuild qmail*.rpm
> Installing qmail-4.0.4-7x.i386.rpm
> error: source package expected, binary found

You need to do this to the src.rpm, not the i386.rpm.

--
* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com
* Unix and Linux Solutions   kwan@digitalhermit.com