Re: [SLUG] Cheapie Acer PC, Part 2.

From: Bill C. (bill13510@wwnet.net)
Date: Sun Dec 28 2003 - 02:23:43 EST

On Saturday 27 December 2003 11:11 pm, you wrote:
> Tim Wright wrote:
> > The root problem may be a bad hard drive, but I'm masochistic.
>
> This is one of those times you turn to Knoppix or Mepis, and Mepis can
> run a partition check from the Live CD, while I don't remember if
> Knoppix can.
>
> In any case, I'd use one of the run-directly-from-CD distros and use its
> diagnostic tools to see what's going on.
>
> - Robin

Speaking of which (Mepis), I took your endorsement and installed Mepis to my
laptop after fooling around with it 'live' for a few minutes.

It misses the sound card, but otherwise all is well on my Dell Inspiron.

This is a lame machine (PII-233 / 128m ram / 30 g HD / 2m video card) but
Mepis seems to run a little tiny bit faster on it than RH 9 did.

It uses KDE as the default (it's built on Debian) but the menu structure took
some poking around in before I could find out where to setup the ethernet
settings. Not a deal killer, but no brownie points, either.

Linux runs slow on this laptop ... slower than Windows (dual boot). On my
desktops, my experience has long been just the opposite. But not on this
laptop. Which is another way of saying that, while Windows gives barely
acceptable performance on this system, Linux is too slow to show on it.

I'm still looking for a version of Linux that will run at an acceptable speed
on this laptop. Mepis isn't it.

Bill

--
Linux user # 223034 since 1996