Re: [SLUG] Cheapie Acer PC, Part 2.

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 10:03:30 EST

>... while Windows gives barely
> acceptable performance on this system, Linux is too slow to show on it.
>
> I'm still looking for a version of Linux that will run at an acceptable speed
> on this laptop. Mepis isn't it.

The key may not be distro-shopping, but using a lighter desktop
environment than Gnome or KDE. I'm playing more and more with IceWM,
which has produced a noticeable speed improvement every time I've tested
it.

I only use a few KDE or Gnome apps, notably Konq, Kpackage and the KDE
menu editor. The rest of what I use only needs libraries from one or the
other, and not that many of them.

In a way, what I might like best would be "KDE Light" - the basic
desktop itself without all the apps built in. Any suggestions from the
choir on what other desktops I might consider that have easy menu, panel
and background/theme editing, but don't suck up system resources like
the "big two"?

- Robin