Re: [SLUG] Cheapie Acer PC, Part 2.

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Tue Dec 30 2003 - 11:51:46 EST

> The question from Warren's view is whether it's better to build on IceWM
> or strip down KDE to create the "basic" install.

I'd say build on IceWM. KDE has gotten progressively heavier throughout
the generations, and I don't see that pattern changing anytime soon.
Since a lot of people, especially first-time installers and people "trying
it out," install linux onto older and/or secondary machines, having KDE,
even a pared version, as the default may leave people with the impression
that linux is slow and unresponsive on a machine that will run windows xp.

IceWM, while perhaps less visually impressive, is responsive, clean, and
functional, and will be useful even with the lowest-end machines that will
support X. KDE and GNOME can be an option for higher-end users.

--
You always know the creative because it is revealed openly. Concealment
betrays the existence of another force entirely.  --Leto II