Re: [SLUG] Cheapie Acer PC, Part 2.

From: cpace@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Tue Dec 30 2003 - 12:09:52 EST

As far as distributions for older PC's (especially
Laptops due to the chipsets used for graphics), I
have had some good success with Vector Linux
(http://www.vectorlinux.com) and my IBM Thinkpad
A20. Vector is actually based on Slackware 9.1 and
has a pretty decent installer and since it is
source-based (Slackware) it optimizes itself for
your platform and can be "tweaked". If you do go
with a Slackware distribution I would highly
recommend downloading and installing Swaret
(http://swaret.org) for maintaining. Swaret is to
Slack what Apt is to Debian complete with dependency
resolvers and everything. Vector Linux 4.0 comes
with lightweight GUI's (Fluxbox, IceWM, etc) but
once you install swaret you can just type swaret
--update; swaret --install kde and have your
kde/gnome/whichever environment. Just my .02.

Pace