Re: [SLUG] Question about setting up hard drives for videoediting...

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jan 04 2004 - 12:13:23 EST

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004, bpreece1 wrote:

> Depending on which format you want to capture in vcd mpg, svcd mpg or avi.
> I was always told that if you capture first with avi then convert it to mpg
> it was higher quality. However when I sent some files to others they could
> not tell that I did straight vcd mpeg.

MPEG is a lossy format, so repeated decode-encode cycles will reduce the
video quality. That's why you were advised to keep it to a minimum.
However, for the amount of editing you were doing, it does not seem to
have mattered.

> Be sure to use NTSC and not PAL !!!!

Why is that? Because of the TV?

> Mpg1 or vcd is 352 x 240 1.13mb sec 44.100 khz 16 bit stereo

For best results when using DGA, enable a 352x240 resolution (4.4:3, not
4:3) in X. Then mplayer (or other DGA-using movie player) does not have
to stretch the video. OTOH, I got better results for 320x240 by having
them stretched to 400x300. YMMV.

> One final tip when hooking up your DVDR or CDR be sure to have them on a
> seperate cable then your HD's even if it says burn proof you can still get
> buffer underruns.

And don't do big stuff (like compile a kernel) during a burn.

   Your pretended fear lest error might step in is like the man who
   would keep all wine out of the country lest men should be drunk.
                                                 -- Oliver Cromwell