Re: [SLUG] Question about setting up hard drives for videoediting...

From: bpreece1 (bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jan 04 2004 - 10:58:41 EST

A few sights you may want to check www.vcdhelp.com www.dvdrhelp.com
Also Cdrom Cdr's, Cdrw's, DVD, and DVDR and DVDRW's drives are still udma
33.

When I first started doing video editing I was using a duron 700, a Hauppage
tv tunner card, a 5400 rpm 60 gig drive.
Depending on which format you want to capture in vcd mpg, svcd mpg or avi.
I was always told that if you capture first with avi then convert it to mpg
it was higher quality. However when I sent some files to others they could
not tell that I did straight vcd mpeg.

Set the audio to 44khz, if you want dvd 128hz.

Be sure to use NTSC and not PAL !!!!

Mpg1 or vcd is 352 x 240 1.13mb sec 44.100 khz 16 bit stereo Usually
compatible with most DVD's and mpg players
Mpg2 or svcd is 720 x 480 8mb sec, 48.000 khz 16 bit stereo Mostly
compatible with newer DVD players

Note for true DVD audio has to be 48.000 khz audio ! ! !

Also check the www.dvdrhelp.com site for compatible listing for your DVD
unit and type and DVD blanks you plan on using.

Not all DVD players are equal in formats. DVD + R, DVD + RW, DVD-R, and
DVD-RW are the most common. Again in the
USA we need to remember NTSC format and Code Region Settings.

Finally check out this site http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html for
some of the best reading. I am hoping to get a copy
of the book soon.

Enjoy.
Bill Preece

One final tip when hooking up your DVDR or CDR be sure to have them on a
seperate cable then your HD's even if it says burn proof you can still get
buffer underruns.