Re: [SLUG] Question about setting up hard drives for videoediting...

From: Steve (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 05:04:34 EST

On Monday 05 January 2004 11:22 pm, you wrote:

> I think causing the source HD to thrash (jump back and forth
> between two projects) during a burn is something that should
> avoided. Burning from my system HD, is something I avoid.
> (CD-RW's only)

Now there's an arbitrary. Granted, it's moving really fast. But after all
that's what they are built to do. For decades now...

I've never worried about "breaking" my harddrives and they usually last for
years on end. I have a stash of old drives that are simply too slow to be
used. But they still work.

Now a CD burner has a pretty big head compared to a hard drive. A lot more
mass. If I was going to start to worry about breaking something that's what I
would investigate. Imagine busy file servers with thousands of files open.
Why don't they die? I have one that has run for the three 1/2 years I've
worked on it. It has 18,000 files open at any given point.

I've used computers for over 35 years and I cannot say that I've ever broken
one by using it. Surges and spikes however, has.

Now I have also seen manufacturers drop their quality control and spit out
batches of bad drives. When that happens I stop using those particular ones
for a few months until they get things back under control. It has happend to
them all. Trying to cut corners to save a few cents in the fierce competition
they are in, and QC seem to be what goes.

--
Steve

__________________________________________________ You actually need to constantly be alert and willing to handle things, or life will find a way to get you good! ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.