Re: [SLUG] Question about setting up hard drives for videoediting...

From: Bill Canaday (bill13510@wwnet.net)
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 18:39:42 EST

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 05:04, Steve wrote:

> I've used computers for over 35 years and I cannot say that I've ever broken
> one by using it. Surges and spikes however, has.

I have lost exactly one to a hardware malfunction and another to a park
program (remember those?). The old actuators used brushes and would get
a carbon build up. Paying close attention to positioning, I was able to
break the carbon by hand and get the drive to work long enough to
transfer its contents to a new drive.

> Now I have also seen manufacturers drop their quality control and spit out
> batches of bad drives. When that happens I stop using those particular ones
> for a few months until they get things back under control. It has happend to
> them all. Trying to cut corners to save a few cents in the fierce competition
> they are in, and QC seem to be what goes.

And the sad part is that quality is pretty much all that separates them.
The specs just don't vary all that much from one maker to another ...
but reputation can make or break a sale. I want a HD that's quiet, fast
and reliable ... and I'm willing to pay a small premium (5-10% of the
nearest competitor with similar specs) to get those traits.

Bill