Re: [SLUG] custom kernel issues

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 18:45:58 EST

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Nathan Anderson wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting any kernel that I've compiled with the CPU type set
> to K7=y to run on my Athlon machine.

Mine's set to 'Athlon/Duron/K7', and I have a 2 GHz Athlon. OTOH, it's
stock code, not Mandrake code.

> Whenever I try to boot a kernel that I've compiled like that the machine
> reboots itself.

How far does it get?

> I'm running Mandrake 9.1 and have tried using the sources from their two most
> recent kernels for 9.1 (2.4.21-0.25mdk and 2.4.21-0.26mdk). The specs for the
> machine I'm compiling on and attempting to run the kernel on are:

[hardware]

Try stripping down your machine to the bare necessities, just one stick of
RAM, video card, hard drive. I don't think that's the issue, but it could
be.

Modularize everything you can.

Try stock code.

> I doubt all the hardware info above is pertinent, but I figured I'd list it
> just in case. I'm wondering if there is something in the Mandrake specific
> kernel that is giving me a problem?

Could be. Also could be a bug in some driver getting tickled by Athlon
code, but not by i686 code.

                  "God does not play dice" -- Einstein
          "Not only does God play dice, he sometimes throws
          them where they can't be seen." -- Stephen Hawking