[SLUG] custom kernel issues

From: Nathan Anderson (nathana@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 18:07:00 EST

Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble getting any kernel that I've compiled with the CPU type set
to K7=y to run on my Athlon machine. Whenever I try to boot a kernel that
I've compiled like that the machine reboots itself. I've read that type
behavior is common when you try to use a kernel that has been compiled with a
CPU type higher than the CPU the machine is actually running, but I fail to
see how that would be my problem.

I can compile kernels that run fine on this machine when I set the CPU type to
i686, so I don't believe there is anything wrong with gcc or any other
programs relating to a compile, nor should there be any problem with the
steps I take to compile the kernel.

I'm running Mandrake 9.1 and have tried using the sources from their two most
recent kernels for 9.1 (2.4.21-0.25mdk and 2.4.21-0.26mdk). The specs for the
machine I'm compiling on and attempting to run the kernel on are:

Athlon XP 2000+ (Palomino core)
MSI K7T Turbo2 (VIA KT133A chipset)
1GB Mushkin PC133
40GB IBM 120GXP
60GB IBM 60GXP
48x24x48 Lite-On CDRW
100MB ATAPI Zip drive
32MB Visiontek Geforce 2 GTS
SB Live!
2x Linksys LNE 100TX
Antec SX-840 case w/ PP-412x power supply

I doubt all the hardware info above is pertinent, but I figured I'd list it
just in case. I'm wondering if there is something in the Mandrake specific
kernel that is giving me a problem? Maybe that's why they don't have an
Athlon kernel out like other distro's do? Anyway, I've been googling around
for a couple days now and haven't found a solution yet, so I'm hoping
somebody on the list can help.

Thanks in advance,
Nate