Re: [SLUG] custom kernel issues

From: Nathan Anderson (nathana@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 20:39:02 EST

On Tuesday 06 January 2004 06:45 pm, Eben King wrote:

Wow, thanks for the speedy reply!

> > I'm having trouble getting any kernel that I've compiled with the CPU
> > type set to K7=y to run on my Athlon machine.
>
> Mine's set to 'Athlon/Duron/K7', and I have a 2 GHz Athlon. OTOH, it's
> stock code, not Mandrake code.
>
> > Whenever I try to boot a kernel that I've compiled like that the machine
> > reboots itself.
>
> How far does it get?

I can select the kernel in LILO, and things proceed as expected for a brief
moment... The next screen flashes by extremely quickly but says something
along the lines of "Loading Linux....." then the machine immediately reboots.
The screen that flashes by so quickly seems normal though as every other
kernel I have installed does the same thing, except the OS actually boots
after it flashes by.

> > I'm running Mandrake 9.1 and have tried using the sources from their two
> > most recent kernels for 9.1 (2.4.21-0.25mdk and 2.4.21-0.26mdk). The
> > specs for the machine I'm compiling on and attempting to run the kernel
> > on are:
>
> [hardware]
>
> Try stripping down your machine to the bare necessities, just one stick of
> RAM, video card, hard drive. I don't think that's the issue, but it could
> be.

I can certainly give it a try, I have considered the possibility that some
piece of hardware is failing and is only evident when the kernel is compiled
for K7's.

> Modularize everything you can.

I have modularized a fair amount, but I haven't really gone through the config
and gotten extremely strict with using modules as much as possible. That
sounds like another good suggestion to try.

> Try stock code.

I think I'll try this option first, I'd like to rule out any Mandrake specific
patches as the culprit. I don't know if using non distro specific sources for
the kernel will negatively affect the the OS, but I'd expect any impact to be
minimal to none.

> > I doubt all the hardware info above is pertinent, but I figured I'd list
> > it just in case. I'm wondering if there is something in the Mandrake
> > specific kernel that is giving me a problem?
>
> Could be. Also could be a bug in some driver getting tickled by Athlon
> code, but not by i686 code.

Indeed, I can try not loading the modules for my various peripherals and see
if I can find the problem that way. My next step is DL'ing stock kernel
sources now though.

Thanks for your suggestions,
Nate