Re: [SLUG] pysol magic number

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 21:58:16 EST

On Monday 05 January 2004 06:45 pm, Paul M Foster wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 12:54:54AM -0500, Bob Stia wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > OK Daniel, my python is 2.2.2-92 The pysol is 4.81-191
> > I also have a later version of pysol (4.82-28) which I downloaded
> > from the pysol site but it will not install because it says I need
> > python 2.2.3 which I cannot seem to find. It is available but only
> > as a i686. Don't know if that will work. If you don't have any
> > other ideas I will have to go searching.
>
> Just a comment, here. You don't actually need the .pyc file to run
> something. Python will compile code on the fly. In fact, Python can
> be made to recompile source code into the bytecode contained in .pyc
> files. However, running a straight .py file might not work either, if
> the library calls have changed between the version you're running and
> the version in which the source code is written.

Hmmmmm....OK Paul. Another bit of knowledge to be tucked away for when I
don't know. Seriously, thanks for replying and I am sure many more
ambitious people appreciate that bit of knowledge. Afraid that doesn't
help me much though. Don't know how I can tell the differences for the
library calls. Don't really want to learn Python at this stage of the
game.

Bob S.