Re: [SLUG] custom kernel issues

From: Robert Foxworth (rfoxwor1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 12:43:22 EST

Somewhere in my files I have a document about LILO that explains that
each one of those 4 letters that is shown on the screen, is an indicator of
how
far the loading process has run. I saw this happen once a while back and
my recollection is that a mismatch between the hard disk geometry, and
what the disk table entry thinks the geometry is, will cause this error.
We saw this when trying to get sandisk flash drives to accept writes
of an OS image that had been originally put together on different types of
flash drives.

Not to say that you are using flash disks, but I think this is the issue
that applies generically to disks. The sandisks had/have CHS values
just like any rotating disk. The parts we used were FlashDrive SDIB-10
and SDIB-20 with IDE header pins. I think CompactFlash are different.
(these are not the thin cards used in digital cameras, either)

Are you trying to run a kernel image on a HD that was compiled on a
different
HD?

Bob