Re: [SLUG] DNS Woes

From: Andrew M. Hoerter (amh@POBOX.COM)
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 20:15:00 EST

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Kwan Lowe wrote:

> All the externals I've tried so far are not resolving my domain
> properly.

Around 3pm this afternoon I did a few more queries against
digitalhermit.com from a site downstream from Cogent, manually tracing
down from the GTLD servers to your nameserver, and ns1.digitalhermit.com
seemed to be responding perfectly. Well, aside from the fact that the
zone file is slightly in error -- it's missing an NS record that is being
listed by the registry as an additional authoritative server. And I think
there were two identical MX records with different priorities ("if this
one doesn't work, try speaking more slowly!").

I didn't try the other nameserver though... but it appears that your
nameserver is basically okay from my part of the net.

> Is there are way to query the TTL or expire values from dig if the
> domain isn't resolving. I.e., determine how long until a nameserver's
> cache expires?

If you're asking whether there's a way to tell remotely when a particular
nameserver will expire a given record in its cache: I believe the answer
is no, such information isn't provided in the DNS protocol.

I dunno, it sounds like you may be experiencing connectivity rather than
DNS problems. Perhaps some packet tracing is in order.