Re: [SLUG] custom kernel issues

From: Nathan Anderson (nathana@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 22:06:45 EST

On Tuesday 06 January 2004 11:38 pm, Eben King wrote:

> > > I can select the kernel in LILO, and things proceed as expected for a
> > > brief moment... The next screen flashes by extremely quickly but says
> > > something along the lines of "Loading Linux....." then the machine
> > > immediately reboots. The screen that flashes by so quickly seems normal
> > > though as every other kernel I have installed does the same thing,
> > > except the OS actually boots after it flashes by.
> >
> > Take another look in lilo. It's possible the problem is not with the
> > kernel at all.
>
> I've never seen lilo reboot on failure. What I've seen is some substring
> of "LILO", followed by some repeated two-hex-digit code, like
>
> LI 04 04 04 ...
>
> Make sure you (the OP) can correctly load a new, non-Athlon kernel,
> though, to eliminate this possibility.

Indeed I can boot to an i686 kernel that I've compiled on this machine... In
fact that's the kernel I'm running as I type this. I can boot to any kernel I
have installed on this machine except the ones I've compiled specifically for
K7's.
I have downloaded stock, vanilla sources from kernel.org and will try to
compile an Athlon kernel again this weekend.

Thanks for everyones help and suggestions so far!
Nate