Re: [SLUG] Kernel module compile errors

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 02:49:15 EST

I haven't tried http://tilp.info/perso/gkc.png because I can't get it to work.
I posted this a little while ago under subject: make gconfig WOW!

Screenshot? Hmmm...well it doesn't really merit a snapshot :( How about I
tell you that the root selection tree is only fourteen options (2.6.1) as
opposed to thirty-five (2.4.20) Also, the root menu hot key reference is all
on first letters. It might not seem like much, but from an ergonomic and
aesthetic perspective, it's more functional and appealling. This might not
be so much a change in menuconfig; rather, more a change in the 2.6 kernel
organizational structure. I think the root menus are less due to the
condensing of device drivers in the Device Drivers menu. Before, you had
Bluetooth, Firewire, USB, etc all under the root menu when they logically
belonged in a group (DD). Maybe the advancements in the 2.4 kernel were too
fast for planning this sort of thing. Also, they've addressed some support
for embedded systems! Some of which uses the gcc -Os flag as opposed to the
-O2 flag for making a smaller kernel. I wonder if it just takes longer to
compile to make tighter code or if it removes some things to just make it
smaller hmmm. Although I thought in machine code smaller is faster. Ahh I
don't know. I'm not a programmer. Anyway, I just started playing with it,
and already, I'm liking the improvements :-)

OK pics, but these don't do justice to the newer options though:
http://www.alienscience.com/slug/slugshot2.4k.png
http://www.alienscience.com/slug/slugshot2.6k.png

/mario