Re: [SLUG] Splashscreen Humor

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 00:35:47 EST

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Max F Lang wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 January 2004 21:41, Tim Wright wrote:
>
> > didn't notice, or wasn't amused. I haven't taken the time yet to
> > figure out where Win95/98, Windows 2000, or XP keep their
>
> Since Win2K/XP are essentially WinNT, shouldn't it be the same? I
> remember that Win 3.1's win.com was several files appended
> together: win.bin + one/two other files + the splash screen bitmap,
> and you just ran "copy" to merge the files. You could use any
> bitmap for the splash screen, and I used the OS/2 2.1 splash for
> grins. Win95/98 might be similar, my company uses our corporate
> logo in place of the clouds, and I haven't thought to ask how they
> do that.

ISTR the 'moving bar' effect is just palette rotation, using some extra
colors (~20?) in the color table. I've seen a program to do that for you.
The Win 3.1/9x logo*.sys files were simply compressed BMP files in a funny
shape (laterally compressed 2:1, so they looked funny when viewed
normally, but looked correct when they're shown with wide pixels). There
was a startup graphic, a 'please wait' graphic, and a 'power down' graphic
(not used on ATX machines).

LIBRA:  A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
much more talented than you.  Laughter is the very best medicine,
remember that when your appendix bursts next week.  -- Weird Al