Re: [SLUG] Newbie needs help with backup

From: Charles Marcak (clmarcak@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 14:40:24 EST

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 17:56, Eben King wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Charles Marcak wrote:
>
> > I want to backup my home directory, and if I can figure out how, backup
> > the whole system. My home directory will fit on one 700Mb CD, but the
> > system would require multiple CD's.
>
> You have to decide if you want to be able to read a file out of a backup
> with ordinary tool. If you say "no", this gets a lot easier. If you can
> arrange to compress the files before you back them up, the backup gets a
> lot smaller.
>
> > I wrote a script.
>
> Scripts are already written. You might want to use one if it's
> acceptable. A general backup program might work, too.
>
> > mkisofs -o shadowbackup.iso -x /*.tar -x /*.tar.gz -x /*.rpm -R -A -V -v
> > /home/shadow
>
> This depends on where $PWD is. Make sure you don't copy dynamic
> filesystems, such as /proc . Also, make sure you have room to create the
> backup file. I think you need to change all "/"s -> "\"; otherwise that
> might exclude *.{tar{,.gz},rpm} in the root directory. Exclude *.tar.bz2,
> *.mp3, *.mpg also, as they're pretty incompressible.
>
> > Does cron run if the computer is left at the log on screen with no one
> > logged on?
>
> Yes. Be careful running a backup from cron, unless you rotate backups.
> You might make a mistake, and then back up that mistake, and be unable to
> restore over it, because the mistake has been backed up.
>
> > Is there a way to write a large *.iso file to multiple CD's?
>
> There may be something to split an iso file. (I don't know because I
> haven't needed to do it.) That's the difficult part about multisegment
> backups -- having them human-readable, and not wasting too much space
> means you have to arrange the files carefully.
>
> > Is /home/shadow the proper place for shadowbackup.iso?
>
> If it has plenty of room (more free than the files take up).
>
> > Is /home/shadow the proper place for the script backup.sh?
>
> To get shadowbackup.iso to be made there, you need to "cd" there
> beforehand, or do "mkisofs -o /home/shadowbackup/shadowbackup.iso ...".
>
> Check out comp.unix.shell .

Thank you Eben for the help! I made some changes to the script and ran
it from cron and it worked!!!! I think I will use XCDRoast to make
multiple iso's and multiple CD's for a full backup. I was thinking of
backing up /etc, /var, /home, /root, and /opt. Are there any others that
you would recommend? Again thank you for your help.

Charles Marcak