Re: [SLUG] compiling a source file on Debian ?

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 11:50:39 EST

> I have a system with Fedora and Debian (knoppix) on
> it. Jpilot works fine wiht Fedora but does not work in
> Debian. I've checked the pors and permissions on the
> ports and they are the same for both systems. So I
> thought maybe it was the Debian package for jpilot was
> compiled. I decided to try and compile the source on
> Debain but I'm running into a problem with header
> files. When I do a ./configure I get an error that the
> pilot-link headers were not found. I apt-getted the
> source for pilot-link and place the headers in
> /usr/local /include/pilot-link but still get the same
> errors. How do I get Debian setup to compile source?
> Does readhat install the include files when it
> installs a package? as I've never had to do this with
> redhat I just download the source and compile. What's
> the difference here?

Many times the libraries and headers of a project will be separated into
binary and -dev packages, like libssl and libssl-dev. In a case like
this, the -dev package needs to be installed in order for you to compile
something that needs libssl, whereas you just need the libssl package when
installing binaries.

So, to summarize, you probably need pilot-link-dev or something similar.

Levi

--
You always know the creative because it is revealed openly. Concealment
betrays the existence of another force entirely.  --Leto II