Re: [SLUG] Webmail and self signed SSL certificate

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Wed Jan 28 2004 - 11:22:02 EST

> I have finally installed a self-signed SSL certificate on my mail server
> at home, and it works great for webmail (using Squirrelmail). However, I
> have 2 questions:
>
> What are the security concerns with using a self signed certificate
> instead of one signed by Thawte or Verisign? I'm assuming that since the
> only people that use this server are my family and friends, and they all
> trust me, that there is no need for an expensive signature.
I do the same thing.

> How difficult would it be to incorporate the same certificate into UW
> IMAP, so that any IMAP connections that don't use webmail are secure? I
> would also like to do this for the Cyrus IMAP server at work.
> Authentication for Cyrus is a big mystery to me, but I would like to add
> SSL to encrypt the sessions. Thanks!
Session encryption should be part of the IMAP server software, or at least
a pluggable option - you shouldn't have to futz around trying to get it to
use your apache SSL info. (I use Courier IMAP.)

Levi

--
You always know the creative because it is revealed openly. Concealment
betrays the existence of another force entirely.  --Leto II