Re: [SLUG] Pysol install

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Thu Jan 29 2004 - 23:44:00 EST

On Thursday 29 January 2004 06:39 pm, Backward Thinker wrote:
> > Downloaded and tried to install Pysol 4.82-28. Install failed,
> > stating that I needed Python-2.3. I have installed python 2.2.
> > So, I went and downloaded python 2.3 and installed it. However, it
> > did not upgrade 2.2 to 2.3 they are both installed, side by side,
> > and when I try again to install Pysol it does not see the python
> > 2.3 install.
> >
> > Anyone help me sort this out??
>
> Is this Pysol packaged in an rpm, apt, compiled from source?
> Your /usr/bin/python is probably a symlink to (or a copy of) your
> python 2.2 binary. Best bet is try updating the PATH Pysol install
> is using so it finds python 2.3 before 2.2, or if you don't mind a
> more global system change, have your /usr/bin/python point to your
> python 2.3 binary (but that could have other consequences).

OK guys, thanks for the quick replies. Here is the situation:

Eben - Too many dependencies to just delete 2.2

Levi - python 2.2 is installed in /usr/lib 2.3 is installed
in /usr/local/lib The binaries are installed in the respective /bin.
The new python 2.3 was downloaded as a tarball which I confirured, made,
and installed with checkinstall which converted it to an rpm and then
installed it. When I try to install Pysol, an rpm, I get a
dependency error, stating that python 2.3 is needed.

Daniel - As per above Pysol is an rpm so I can't do much about where it
looks for dependencies. Can I rebuild it and change that?

My options ? Forget about the Pysol rpm and go get a tarball? And then
rebuild that? Could I make it build to 2.2 and get rid of 2.3?

Bob S.