Re: [SLUG] dead(?) UPS?

From: Steve (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 23:52:53 EST

On Thursday 12 February 2004 11:12 pm, wchast@utilpart.com wrote:
> I have been "recovering" UPS now for quite some time.
> in fact I used a "bad" one to power a pump in my wife's
> bait truck until I got a solution that did not need
> 120 VAC.
>
> I replaced the old batteries with deep cycle batteries
> and off it went. It was a 2KVA unit also. Ran a 1/3 HP
> pump to keep the bait tanks with moving water.
>
> I would do exactly what you planned to do get the batteries
> and set it up to see if it will work. You can also take
> the old batteries put them on a charger and see if they
> will take a charge. Charge each battery separately unless
> you have a 24 or 48v charger in which case you can charge
> them two by two or all 4 at the same time.

<snip>

Actually you should not charge batteries together if they might be in
different condition as the bad one will pull down the good one.

Simply test each one independently and note their charge. If you have
run the UPS for a little bit they will all have received charge. Now
when you compare them you'll find one or more being noticibly less than
the others.

If you have any juice left in the batteries, turn on the UPS and see if
it charges over time. Use the built-in self test. (Press 1/Test button
for 5 sec and it will kick in.)

Not test the batteries. Has any one increased in charge? Actually if you
call APC they will give you some help over the phone.

I recently bought four batteries for SmartUPS on US19 and paid about $50
each. There are four 12V 17Ah batteries in a SmartUPS 2200.

I had one of the three being bad but decided to get brand new ones
anyway, just to not have to worry about it as these will charge and
discharge at the same rate.

If you do put new ones in, once it's 100% charged, put a load of about
33% on it and let it fully discharge. This will reset the onboard
computer to know the charge in the new batteries. Mine ran for 57
minutes on a 33% charge.

--
Steve

__________________________________________________ You actually need to constantly be alert and willing to handle things, or life will find a way to get you good! ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.