Re: {SPAM?} Re: [SLUG] TwinView 3D Problem

From: Andrew M. Hoerter (amh@POBOX.COM)
Date: Mon Feb 16 2004 - 15:56:48 EST

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Tyler Vann-Campbell wrote:

> > Nah. You're not compiling, just linking.

> Yeah, it's the kernel interface that changes so often it's easier to
> make it for each one, but the drivers are still binary only.

This is a major reason that I "just say no" to Linux kernel modules. The
lack of any well-defined kernel<-->module interface makes them almost
unuseable unless everything is carefully matched up by your distribution
vendor.

Loadable modules are a solved problem in Solaris and probably most other
commercial Unices since many years ago.