Re: {SPAM?} Re: [SLUG] TwinView 3D Problem

From: Steve (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 12:03:12 EST

On Monday 16 February 2004 03:56 pm, Andrew M. Hoerter wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Tyler Vann-Campbell wrote:
> > > Nah. You're not compiling, just linking.
> >
> > Yeah, it's the kernel interface that changes so often it's easier
> > to make it for each one, but the drivers are still binary only.
>
> This is a major reason that I "just say no" to Linux kernel modules.
> The lack of any well-defined kernel<-->module interface makes them
> almost unuseable unless everything is carefully matched up by your
> distribution vendor.
>
> Loadable modules are a solved problem in Solaris and probably most
> other commercial Unices since many years ago.

I think it's safe to say that many people prefer to not have to do
anything but click on a button and have a program installed. The closer
to that the better.

Even though I know how to get around the various activities one is
sometimes required to in order to install some program, I would prefer
not to have to spend the time doing it.

This is also where some of the strengths of Linux lies. The ability to
compile it to suit your needs. I'd never dream to install Apache for a
commercial solution if I could not compile it myself. But I prefer a
precompiled one most of the time when I just need a server to test some
stuff on. Ditto for many simple apps.

In my observation Linux is missing some of the things that is driven by
money or need for income. Like th Solaris install/remove solution. The
features which are needed to ensure (commercial) customer participation
has never been a big need under Linux and thus has not received
much/enough attention to cater to the same customers.

Flexibility in having the option to do it your way I think is the
answer.

--

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin