Re: [SLUG] win 98 and cups on rh8.0

From: Backward Thinker (backwardthinker@juno.com)
Date: Fri Feb 27 2004 - 13:54:17 EST

A few clarifications req'd...

> I have two win98 laptops that need to be able to print to our network
> printers. I have all printers configured with cups running on our RH
> 8.0 box.

> When ever I try to install a Lexmark printer( Lexmark is all we
> have) on these laptops I get to a point where I get a message that
> says the printer is offline and then the installation will continue
> and look like a good install except that is always offline.

> The computer will hang if you try to print to the printer.

This is the w98 laptop that hangs? Your RH 8 box prints no problem?

> Do I need to know something about installing a network printer on
> win98 using cups on RH 8.0??? I have looked everywhere for some
> instructions with our any success.

Well, if you are trying to print through the redhat box there's a few things you need to make sure of. If you want to use "standard" smb for windows printing, you need to have samba configured and sharing printers to your two laptops. You also need to make sure your iptables config is not blocking ports 139 and 137 (137 for browsing) for your two laptops. Samba has a lot of power, and can support "Point 'n Print" etc stuff, if that is in your needs.

If you are trying to go straight to the cups server "LPR" style, avoiding samba, you need to make sure you have an lpd listener to pass the job to your cups backend (check /etc/xinetd.conf), and again, iptables isn't blocking LPR traffic from your laptops and that cups will accept remote jobs. Or, you can bypass your print-server altogether and configure your laptop to send jobs directly to the network attached printer LPR-style, at the quasi expense of reliability.

The preferred way for your win laptops is to configure samba on the RH 8 server with printer shares to accept print from your laptops and pass it to the print queue of your cups backend. Check out samba.org, or look at your RH config tools, pretty sure they'd have something of value for initial configuration of samba.

Don't forget to open up your iptables config enough to let SMB or LPR traffic through from your laptops. After you get started and have problems with specific pieces, feel free to ask more specifically, but there's no point wasting time and getting offtrack or overly-specific about methods that may be outside your true goals.

> Michael C Rock

hope this is a good start, at least,
~ Daniel

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!