RE: [SLUG] win 98 and cups on rh8.0

From: mrock (mrock@stewartsigns.com)
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 14:16:57 EST

Laptops are in the same workgroup, and that is the same as the domain
for the other computers( NT and W2K ) designation.

Samba security mode is "User".

I get "No domain controller was available to validate your password"
message when this laptop boots. Our authenticating server is NT.

I am able to see the entire network. I am beginning to think that the
password issue might be part of this problem! But then I can see their
file shares on the linux file server.

I have the same server that is running Cups also acting as a file server
and the laptops can access their file shares without any problem.

Our system has not changes except to change the ip address from
192.168.1. to 192.168.152. And that caused enough problems that I
don't want to remember it. ;o)

This is part of my smb.conf file

[global]
   workgroup = STEWART
   server string = Samba Server
   printcap name = lpstat
   printing = cups
   use client driver = yes
   print command = lp -d%p -oraw %s; rm %s
   lpq command = lpstat -o%p
   lprm command = cancel %p-%j
   queuepause command = disable %p
   queueresume command = enable %p
   printer admin = rock
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
   max log size = 2000
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
   dns proxy = no

And here is how my printers are set up. I set them up individually.
This is a representative group of printers that I set up.

[AcctLex Printer]
   comment = Printer
   path = /var/spool/samba
   printer = AcctLex
   printable = yes

[ExecLex Printer]
   comment = Printer
   path = /var/spool/samba
   printer = ExecLex
   printable = yes

[MailLex Printer]
   comment = Printer
   path = /var/spool/samba
   printer = MailLex
   printable = yes

Michael,

> I have use client driver set to "yes" already.

Okay.

> I am using Samba 2.2.5-10

There were some print fixes AND security vulnerabilities fixed since
that version and 2.2.8a. There are publicly circulating samba root
exploits for versions of samba previous to 2.2.8a, you should upgrade to
the latest RH 8 errata for samba.

> The last time the samba log recorded anything for one of the laptops
> was on Dec 2, 2003. It is recording nothing at all for this
> laptops.

Lets take a step back for a moment. Can the laptops access other samba
services, like a file share? Also you didn't tell me what security mode
your smb.conf is set up as. Are the w98 laptops in the same workgroup
as your w2k and NT boxen if they need to be? Dec 2 was kind of awhile
ago, but can you think of any samba changes, or windows networking
changes you made since then?

~ Daniel

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!