RE: [SLUG] win 98 and cups on rh8.0

From: Backward Thinker (backwardthinker@juno.com)
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 12:30:28 EST

Michael,

> I have use client driver set to "yes" already.

Okay.

> I am using Samba 2.2.5-10

There were some print fixes AND security vulnerabilities fixed since that version and 2.2.8a. There are publicly circulating samba root exploits for versions of samba previous to 2.2.8a, you should upgrade to the latest RH 8 errata for samba.

> The last time the samba log recorded anything for one of the laptops
> was on Dec 2, 2003. It is recording nothing at all for this
> laptops.

Lets take a step back for a moment. Can the laptops access other samba services, like a file share? Also you didn't tell me what security mode your smb.conf is set up as. Are the w98 laptops in the same workgroup as your w2k and NT boxen if they need to be? Dec 2 was kind of awhile ago, but can you think of any samba changes, or windows networking changes you made since then?

~ Daniel

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!