Re: [SLUG] Linux & GIS

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronanh@auctionsolutions.com)
Date: Tue Mar 02 2004 - 16:26:53 EST

>I too am interested in GIS stuff. In particular mappers I can
>link to a database and have the screen update as vehicles move
>about, also need to be able to do customization. This is for
>AVL type activities, so it has to be able to handle continuous
>updates or pull the data out of a database (the preferred method)
>
>Being Open Source should take care of customization, the whole
>thing will be open to the people who will need to work on it.
>
>Chuck Hast

GRASS is really well suited to using text files to get the data to plot
icons or labels. I think that there are modules to use Postgres (esp.
with the PostGIS extensions) as the backend for GRASS. I just write
scripts that read from Postgres and spit-out the text files that I
need. BTW GRASS's default interface is a bash shell with certain ENV
stuff set. If you know how to write BASH scripts that can call psql and
pipe the output through sed, awk, etc then you can write GRASS scripts
that auto-pull the data that you want.

--ronan