Re: [SLUG] Where is cron ?

From: greg schmidt (slugmail@gschmidt.net)
Date: Tue Mar 02 2004 - 23:52:55 EST

Bob Stia wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 March 2004 06:45 am, Logan Tygart wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 03:07, Bob Stia wrote:
>>
>>>Hello sluggers.
>>>
>>>I want to add some new cron jobs. Can't find where to add them.
>>>Know I did this once before. Senile moment? No senile hours
>>>-searching.
>>>
>>>Running SuSE 8.2 KDE 3.1.4
>>>
>>>Please help
>>>
>>>Bob S.
>>
>>If you want to adjust the master crontab it is /etc/crontab. If you
>>wish to adjust your personal crontab, just type:
>>
>>crontab -e
>

> Ummm...Thanks Logan & Kwan, but, I don't have a /etc/crontab, and
> crontab -e produces a medium size list of zerors down the left column.
>
> As far as dropping scripts - I have no idea how that is done. or how a
> script is executed. I seem to remember a GUI that would allow me to
> import a script, set the date & time of execution and allow me to put
> it where I wanted it.
>
> Oh well,
>
> Bob S.

If you have a crontab then "crontab -l" will list it for you, or say you don't
have one. Try that. If you don't already have one, root can make one for you
with "crontab -u <username> -e" (-l for list -e for edit). This will put you
in a text editor, probably vi. A ":wq" will write the empty crontab for
<username> and quit vi. Back as a non-root user, "crontab -e" puts you in the
vi editor with your crontab contents listed and ready for editing, but you'll
need at least some rudimentary ability to get around in vi. "i" will begin
inserting text; when in doubt smack the Esc key several times. ":" (colon) lets
you enter commands such as "w" for write(save) and "q" for quit and "q!" for I
really mean to quit even if I loose the changes I've made. If you see a list of
zeros down the left column, they might be empty lines and you're in the vi
editor ready to add a line to your crontab. "man crontab" might help.

/etc/crontab is root's own crontab, or the box-wide cron table. Unless you
really need that one, stick with the user crontab. Mine are in
/var/spool/cron/crontabs/<username>, but I normally edit it with "crontab -e"