Re: [SLUG] Regarding tiny systems and serial ports

From: Ian Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Tue Mar 09 2004 - 16:34:33 EST

wchast@utilpart.com wrote:
> I have been working with a small router system on a floppy. I have the
> need to operate more than 2 serial ports on this small system, but when
> I attempt to go beyond the ttyS0 ttyS1 I get device conflicts and it is
> because that IRQ3 and 4 are being used on ttyS0 - 3 On a normal system
> I would use setserial to put things straight, but there is no such thing
> on this floppy. I have tried to put it on but it does not get put there.
>
> Any ideas of what I need to do. If you want I can send you the disk image
> so you can look at it.

Com1: IRQ 4 0x3F8 - /dev/ttyS0 (/dev/cua0)
Com2: IRQ 3 0x2F8 - /dev/ttyS1 (/dev/cua1)
Com3: IRQ 4 0x3E8 - /dev/ttyS2 (/dev/cua2)
Com4: IRQ 3 0x2E8 - /dev/ttyS3 (/dev/cua3)

The kernel 2.0+ comm port drivers can share interrupts. AFAIK, there is
no longer a reason to assign a separate IRQ to each serial port.

The tool you would use at a command line is setserial. You may override
the kernel's autoprobe with a command line option as well, for example:

        append="serial=0x3f8,4 serial=0x2f8,3"

There is far more information in the Serial HOWTO on the Linux
Documentation Project:

        http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Serial-HOWTO.html

--
- Ian C. Blenke - Director of Service Delivery <icblenke@nks.net>